Thanks for telling me with words as well as actions that you love me too.
My Goals: IN ONE YEAR Learn to EAT, PRAY, LOVE ... My Way*
1) Find Health and Strength for Me and my Family (Physically, Emotionally, and Spiritually).
2) Have a Love Affair and Long-Lasting Friendship with my EC (Eternal Companion).
3) Be Available for My Children through their Triumphs and their Trials.
*As I followed Elizabeth Gilbert's journey through "Eat, Pray, Love" and now as you follow me on my journey, perhaps a world of possibilities will open up for you too. Where do you want to go? Who do you want to be? Me? I'd just like to learn to be my loving, happy self and live long and healthy enough to enjoy the outcome. And you? I encourage you to challenge yourself. What would you like to do next? What direction are you going? Our talents and uniqueness bless our world ... and someone is always watching, always following in our footsteps. My prayer is that our footsteps may always be worth following.
Monday, December 20, 2010
Thanks for telling me with words as well as actions that you love me too.
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Therefore, if writing (blogging) became alarming to me and yet I write today, I win! Not only am I on the road to Health and Strength, but today I took a step forward! How, you may ask?
I decided to review the post I wrote for Day 16. I removed what concerned me but was able to keep the concept I was trying to relay. I feel good about that post. I feel good about the decision that prompted that post. I also learned that I would one day feel like writing again. Today was the day! This is a big thing to me.
I am happy with this lesson.
Bring it on Road Hazards and Opposition out there! I can overcome you.
I did today, and I will again.
378 days to go.
Thursday, December 16, 2010
1. Health & Strength (physically, mentally and spiritually) for Me & My Family
I really like how I have redefined these goals. I will add these to the top of my blog.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Hmmm. I wonder what will I reflect on when I'm 100.
Monday, December 13, 2010
I saw a journey:
My third goal this year is to Love and Care for my EC. I cannot do this well without being open, completely open. The stretch here is that if I can learn to reconnect with friends who I've known for a long time, then I would be "open" to them or available to them. If I could do that, I could learn to be open or available to my EC, who I have not known as long.
My friends, I love you. I always have. May your lives be happy and full as mine is.
EC, I love you, I always have. May your life be happy and full too.
Hey, does this count as meditating???!
Sunday, December 12, 2010
|I'm the pink one. Which one are you?|
I guess what I'm discovering is that I will be more fulfilled as I accomplish my set goals and as I experience what goes on around me, applying that to my goals. (smiles)
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Monday, December 6, 2010
These observations and experiences so describe me! Remember, I'm not stressed?!! What would it be like to really enjoy doing nothing? My brain cannot even fathom this idea. I have much to learn.
So, here's to me: Il bel far niete! May I also learn to raise my life's acheivement.
But let's explore this for a minute. I didn't ride just any old bike, I rode my brand new, most beautifully colored creamy light blue and white beach cruiser. First, my EC and I washed my bike off so she'd feel better after standing on the back porch unused for so many months. Then, my EC attached my really super cool, white metal mesh basket that I bought long ago and set on my desk, of course, to the handlebars. I got us water bottles and we were ready to go. I was excited about the adventure. It was a gorgeous sunny day. We meandered through the neighborhoods. The wind blew threw my hair.
I love the wind blowing through my hair as I ride. I loved riding my bike! I always have! We bought this particular bike for me because she called out to me with peace and serenity. Her color is really significant to me. She represents water and clouds. I love the water. I love the beach. I love the puffy white clouds. I love the sunshine. I love my bike!
I think I am beginning to understand: Could it be that I was practicing il bel far niete?
Wow! I think I'd like to ride again today. Are you coming EC? (smiles)
391 days to go.
Sunday, December 5, 2010
PS: I just bought Julie and Julia: A Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell. I am very excited about reading it. I would like to write to Julie too. She and Elizabeth have really helped me stretch my goal-setting abilities.
Saturday, December 4, 2010
- I was super brave and wrote to Elizabeth Gilbert on her Facebook. I quickly just did a cut and paste of my wish to talk to her from Day 3 and pushed the send button. I soon realized that it didn't all paste in so I had to send a 2nd post with the whole clip ... again I hurried and pushed the send button. At least this way she knows I am writing this blog so if I am offending her in anyway or doing anything illegal with her work, she will tell me. One thing off my worry list. Yeah.
- I met with a friend and we ended up becoming Accountability Partners for one of my goals regarding loving and caring for my EC. She had a similar goal and so we each set a goal just for the coming week and we are going to meet next Friday to see how we each did. We even planned treats if we reach our goals. Mine is a small chocolate cream pie from my favorite little local restaurant. Hers is a treat from Starbucks. (smiles)
- I actually tried to meditate while I was at my physical therapy yesterday afternoon. There is a quiet period when I am hooked up to a electronic muscle stimulator for 15 minutes. I usually choose to lie quietly in a dark room and sleep during that time. Yesterday I chose the dark room again, but no sleeping. I tried to meditate. What do you meditate about? I wondered. I tried to just focus on a sound or a picture of a beach or a circle. Nothing. I don't know how to meditate. Finally I tried to just listen to the beat of the Christmas music I was hearing over the office speakers. Boom. Boom. Bah, Bah, Bah. Boom. Over and over I focused on the beat, not the melody. I think I meditated a little. ??? Note to self: Learn how to meditate.
- Lastly, I had the most delightful visit with my EC last night. We went on a date! We used to go every weekend, but for the past several months I have been too ill for go out. We had a great time. We talked about dreams and goals and other fun stuff. It was super!
Friday, December 3, 2010
I am excited for this new day. As a note of interest, a big reason that I want to learn how to eat more healthily is that right now I can't eat very much period. The doctors don't know why, but my guts just hurt. My usual diet is a gluten-free waffle and water. Yeah! I talked to my new dietician yesterday. I was referred to her by my doctor. Apparently we are having insurance issues so I will be calling the insurance today myself to see what we need to do the expedite some help for me. (FYI: I have been tested for months and have now four specialists, and the gist is that I have lost 30 pounds over an eight week period without trying and yeah, I finally plateaued. No answers yet, still waiting on some new labs. The problem is: what can I eat?) Now, back to my day.
Thursday, December 2, 2010
These particular black beads really appeal to me. Click on this link (www.buddhistmala.com) to read about them. Can you tell why they call to me? Well, maybe you should read my post first. (smiles)
I was curious about the japa malas that Elizabeth talked about in the Introduction of her book. She said, "They have been used in India for centuries to assist devout Hindus and Buddists in staying focused during prayerful meditation." I looked it up on the Internet. I found a site that I liked which I posted on my sidebar. The black onyx prayer beads really called to me as I looked through the wide variety of stones that are used, each representing something different. According to this website "The black stone in the Feng Shui tradition is considered 'Yin' and is folklored to help with emotional protection and increased power. It is associated with the root 'chakra' and can be grounding." Balance and grounding is definitely something I would like to have. To me, the symbolism behind the japa malas touches my soul. Maybe one day I will get one. Maybe I will get that one in the picture. (smiles) That would be cool.
Having started this challenge has already been so beneficial to me ... and my family. We have been having a lot of fun experimenting with different ideas. I am much more calm, more focused and more helpful.
As far as today's "class" I have had a fun time. I structured it a little differently than my class schedule was set so, let's call it a field trip day. Today I took what I have been learning and applied on an errand run. I picked up a woman that I help at church and we toured the town picking things up and dropping things off. What a delightful afternoon it was. There was peace and love in it.
Tonight I got to spend some time with three of my daughters. I loved that as well. Afterward, my EC and I talked about his day. It is so nice to not be rushing from one thing to the next! It is wondrous to just enjoy each moment as it was here. My day was structured, but I enjoyed it. I lived it.
Tomorrow I am looking forward to real class time. At this stage in the game that means read, read, read, and lots of laundry. In Eat, Pray, Love I am on Chapter 16.
Maybe tomorrow I will write to Elizabeth. ???
395 days to go.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Today was a surprise. I slept until 4:00 p.m. Yes, exactly. I slept all day long! My conclusion? That sprinting of mine has caught up to me. During the past four days I have probably slept an average of 3 hours per night. By last night my body was in serious rebellion. In the middle of the night I finally decided to satisfy its twitching insanity with two Tylenol and a muscle relaxant. End result ... a late start on my day is better than a No Show. One more time, I am glad I know the teacher for this course! (smiles)
My EC really enjoyed me reading to him from the book. Fond memories of his own enjoyment of reading were perhaps returning. He expressed his happiness at my desire to read it. Jeez, I say, "Why did I wait so long to try it?" Can anybody say Green Eggs and Ham? Well, after some persuasion, I like it. I like Green Eggs and Ham. OK? (smiles) Maybe it just had to be my own idea. Seriously, am I really so stubborn? But I digress.